American Bank opened its doors in 1896 as The Farmers Bank and was located in the 200 block of South Main Street in Cuba City. In 1903, the bank became a Wisconsin State chartered bank. The name was changed in 1910 to the Cuba City State Bank, and in 1928 the bank acquired the First National Bank in Cuba City, and subsequently moved into its building, then located on the site of the current bank’s parking lot. In 1978, a new facility was erected behind the parking lot and the old structure was razed.
In 1998, ATBancorp purchased 100 percent of the stock of the Cuba City State Bank, retaining its Wisconsin State charter. In 2001, the bank was granted trust powers and also announced the expansion of services with a new full-service location in Lancaster. All three Wisconsin offices were united under the new name of American Bank & Trust–Wisconsin.
The year 2002 brought continued growth, and a new facility was built in Fennimore, Wisconsin, to serve our clients to the north. Then, in 2006, American Bank opened its newest facility in Platteville, Wisconsin, and now spans the entire county. In its fourteen years since acquisition by ATBancorp, the bank has tripled in footings.